Dustin’s Keto+ Diet
Dustin’s Keto+ Diet is a new twist on the Keto diet to help dieters lower carbohydrates, use their fat as a primary source of fuel, and build/retain muscle mass.
What is Keto?
A Keto Diet is characterized as a diet in which carbs are purposely kept low. So low that your body stops using carbohydrates as the chief source of energy for your body. Your liver starts creating “ketones” which is used as energy. In summary insulin levels are kept low, no excess carbohydrate ingestion leads to your body using fat as the primary energy source. Ketosis can lead to explosive weight loss. Ketosis is typically reached when the body has less than 20-50 grams of carbohydrates.
Dustin’s Keto+ Diet has the gym-goer in mind. Too few protein can cause the body to not retain and build lean muscle. Lean muscle burns fat at rest, and we want more lean muscle!
Dustin’s KETO+ Diet consists of 60%-65% Fats, 30%-35% Protein, and 5% Carbohydrates. I also use the net-carb method where you subtract fiber from total carbs.
For someone with a 1500 calorie diet it would look like:
- 900 calories from fats (100 grams)
- 525 calories from protein (131 grams)
- 75 calories from carbohydrates (19 grams)
What about protein converting to glucose? There is a pathway in our body where if we don’t have enough carbohydrates, our body will convert protein to glucose. I am not worried about this pathway when we are talking about someone who will be working out. If you do not plan to workout, you may not be right for the KETO+ Diet.
How many calories should I shoot for?
Great question. If you are trying to lose weight, I suggest shooting for eating less than your BMR. BMR is the Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the amount of calories you need, at rest, to maintain current weight. Since you are active, and will be eating at or below BMR, you should lose weight fast!
Calculate your BMR here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
Who shouldn’t use the KETO+ DIET?
Note: I’m not a doctor or dietitian. This diet is just an example of a diet that you can use to lose weight. I suggest everyone to talk to their doctor to make sure they are healthy enough for a diet like this.
If you have diabetes or high blood pressure (taking medicines) I would suggest talking to your doctor before doing a KETO diet. I am not registered dietitian and this article is for information purposes only. Check with your doctor before starting any diet.
I suggest everyone who is on any diet to drink at least 100 ounces of water a day. Water helps increase metabolism and control hunger. I’d shoot for a gallon a day!
The Carb Flu is a symptom of all keto diets. When you lower your carbohydrates, your body will not be happy at first. When starting a keto diet, you will feel sluggish, tired, and experience flu like symptoms (minus the congestion/mucus). It is normal. I suggest more caffeine to combat it. You may also want to slowly dive into a keto diet by lowering your carbs from current usage to goal over a couple weeks.
Dustin’s Keto+ Diet Sample Meal Plan #1
String Cheese + Almonds
Cottage Cheese (4oz)
1500 calories-107 grams of fat-107 grams of protein-22 grams of net carbs (65%, 30%, 5% ratio)
Dustin’s Keto+ Diet Sample Meal Plan #2
Pepperoni and String Cheese
2 Hard Boiled Eggs + Carrots
1500 calories-105 grams of fat-114 grams of protein-18 grams of net carbs (63%, 32%, 5% ratio)
Supplements That Can Help
Royal 21 King and Queen Systems can help you speed up your metabolism, control appetites, eliminates cravings, and can help with hormones. It even helps you sleep! Many of my clients have lost a ton of weight with Royal 21 King and Queen Systems! Click here for free shipping.
- Level-1 Meal Replacement Protein is low carb, high protein and will keep you full! This protein digests over time so that you don’t become hungry as fast. It’s also only $1.67 a meal! Click here for free shipping.
- GDA (Glucose Disposal Agent) should only be used if you are going to have a cheat day. I suggest having a cheat day every once in a while. GDA helps block carbs from spiking blood sugar, and creating more fat. Click here for free shipping.
- Fish Oil and a quality multivitamin will help you get the nutrients that you are missing from your diet. Fish oil improves cardiovascular function and the brain. I suggest Full-Mega and M-Factor series of multi-vitamins. Click here for free shipping.
- Phormula-1 + Ignition (Post Workout Stack). The Post Workout Stack helps replenish glycogen and protein to the muscles after exercise. If you are not exercising, do not take the Post Workout Stack with this diet. The Post Workout Stack is formulated to help you grow and repair lean muscle. Click here for free shipping.
Questions? Comments? Post below!
Personal Trainer/Sports Nutritionist