Are Pre-Workouts Bad For You?
A question I hear at least once a week from my clients is “Are Pre-Workouts Bad For You ?” This is a question with multiple answers because it depends on various factors. Who makes the pre-workout? What ingredients are in the pre-workout? What preexisting conditions do you have?
Who makes the Pre-Workout?
Why does it matter who makes the pre-workout? It matters because many companies have been caught under-dosing their formulas. They also have been caught using banned ingredients in their pre-workout supplements. Some examples:
- USP Labs were using illegal ingredients in their products
- MusclePharm’s Arnold Schwarzenegger Protein had less than 50% advertised protein
What ingredients are in the Pre-Workout?
It is vital to look at the ingredients of your pre-workout before buying your pre-workout. Do you have any pre-existing conditions that would not allow you to have certain supplements? Are you sensitive to caffeine or other stimulants? If so, you may need to find a non-stimulant version of a pre-workout.
Ingredients to watch for:
- DMAA: 1-3 Dimethylamylamine is the chemical name. Some doctors say it is addictive as Ritalin. FDA considers it illegal but some companies still sell it in pre-workouts.
- Bitter Orange: I’m a fan of bitter orange when it was widely available, however if you can’t handle stimulants stay away.
- Caffeine: Some people can’t handle caffeine in large dosages. If you can’t, don’t take a pre-workout. Also too much caffeine is bad for you. It can also be bad for your workout because caffeine narrows the blood vessels.
What if I can’t handle stimulants?
- AlphaCre HD: AlphaCre HD by 1st Phorm is my favorite stimulant free pre-workout that helps you with pump, strength, and recovery. It has a full dose of creatine, beta-alanine, and agmatine sulfate. You can order it here with free shipping! Just Click!
- ALPHASURGE DRV: ALPHASURGE DRV by 1st Phorm is my favorite stimulant free pump product that helps you send nutrients to the muscles to help with pumps and recovery. Arginine Malate, Glycerol Monostearate, and Agmatine Sulfate will have your skin peeling from the pumps. You can order it here with free shipping! Just Click!
Best Pre-Workout Period:
- MegaWatt V2: MegaWatt V2 from 1st Phorm is my favorite pre-workout on the market. Why? Strength gains, pump, recovery, energy, focus, and more all in one. The dosages are right and you will feel it in minutes. You get creatine, beta-alanine, agmatine sulfate, caffeine, other stimulants, focus enhancers, and more. Also all 1st Phorm supplements are made in a FDA approved facility meaning their ingredients are what they say they are. You can order it here with free shipping! Just click!
So are Pre-Workouts Bad For You? Pre-workouts can be bad if they are from certain companies, have certain ingredients, or if you have health conditions that would make it bad for you to take. It is vital for you to read the ingredients and do some research prior to buying a pre-workout. My suggestions are to stick to one of the 1st Phorm family of pre-workouts: MegaWatt v2, AlphaCre HD, or AlphaSurge DRV.
Thank you for reading,
Certified Personal Trainer/Sports Nutritionist